aaNet Support Forum

Members Forum
It is currently Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:24 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Existing engin customers
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:12 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Cat,

I hated the bundling option. We are not committed to bundle are we? Also as an existing Engin customer I want to keep my number as everyone knows it and we use it every day. Can i go with aanet/engin and keep my number?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:14 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

ozimarco wrote:
By all means, try it out using a softphone. I think that's how most people start out with VoIP. I have found that, since I invested $100 in my ATA, my VoIP experience has become much more satisfactory. If it feels like a phone, smells like a phone and sounds like a phone, then, by golly, it IS a phone. You are more likely to use it instead of your PSTN if it works like PSTN. Of course, it is up to you to decide whether you make enough calls to recoup that investment in a reasonable time frame.

Mark

So you got onboard ozimarco?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:27 am 

thanks again for the replies,just one other thing,ive got 2 networked computers one in the other room ,does voip work over the network or does the other phone have to be physically connected to the voip modem ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:44 am 
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

bassface wrote:
thanks again for the replies,just one other thing,ive got 2 networked computers one in the other room ,does voip work over the network or does the other phone have to be physically connected to the voip modem ?

What do you mean? Do you want to plug another phone into the network? I don't think that's possible. I think it does need to be physically plugged into the VOIP modem.

One way to ensure that you have VOIP phones aplenty is to buy a cordless with extra handsets... Plug the "base" unit into the modem and place the extra handsets where you want them - they work exactly like they do if they were plugged into the "normal" telephone line (but with VOIP great rates).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:41 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

These questions seem to highlight my point about Telephony being a consumer commodity, and any VoIP offering needs to be explained and marketed with that in mind.

I just received the aaNet e-mail about the VoIP offer, and while it is (now) technically correct and quite adequate on most levels, I can quite imagine a lot of "ordinary" aaNet customers that could benefit from the product wondering if it would even be worth trying.

On the first read of it, how many people will realise that the VoIP service offered actually makes calls to any phone on the "normal" telephone network?

How many would be wondering if the people they would want to call would also need a "voice enabled modem"?

It may have been useful to have a short paragraph explaining what VoIP is and how it actually allows people a different way of doing what they do now - dial telephone numbers and connect to them.

Such basic concepts can be taken for granted for the "nerd" element, but not when you are dealing with a lot of people who know nothing about the Internet apart from the web browsing and e-mail that they use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:17 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I think we need to start a FAQ or wiki where we collate all this information for those that are new to VOIP, instead of answering the same questions over and over again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:38 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

LJ wrote:

I did. VoIP up and running. Can we check our call usage anywhere? I know it's cheap, but it would still be nice to be able to check how much we have spent.

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:58 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

ozimarco wrote:
LJ wrote:

I did. VoIP up and running. Can we check our call usage anywhere? I know it's cheap, but it would still be nice to be able to check how much we have spent.

Mark

Cool!

I queried this too and the response is the facility is not up and running yet but is to be implemented - unfortunately an ETA could not be provided at this stage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:09 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

LJ wrote:
I queried this too and the response is the facility is not up and running yet but is to be implemented - unfortunately an ETA could not be provided at this stage

That's the answer I received as well. I hope they get this sorted ASAP.

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:12 pm 
Out Of Hours Poster

ozimarco wrote:
That's the answer I received as well. I hope they get this sorted ASAP.

Mark

it will not be sorted ASAP.. Everything takes time.. we have a production environment and to say different would be simply wrong

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:20 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Cat Carroll wrote:
it will not be sorted ASAP.. Everything takes time.. we have a production environment and to say different would be simply wrong

Thanks for the response, Cat, and the honesty. :roll:

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:30 pm 
--------------
--------------

Exchange/Suburb: Snake Valley
State: Vic
Before I go wildly changing any settings, with my 6402VGP I can call my landline, my 2 mobiles, another mobile that 'visited' here and that is it. Not my aunt in Broken Hill or any local numbers anywhere that I have tried.

I have had 2 incoming calls and couldn't hear anyone/anything when I answered them.

What is the go? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:52 pm 
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

aaChris wrote:
Before I go wildly changing any settings, with my 6402VGP I can call my landline, my 2 mobiles, another mobile that 'visited' here and that is it. Not my aunt in Broken Hill or any local numbers anywhere that I have tried.

I have had 2 incoming calls and couldn't hear anyone/anything when I answered them.

What is the go? :?

Are you using a "stun" server? Sometimes if you are behind a NAT you need to set a stun server. Any one will do...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:06 pm 
--------------
--------------

Exchange/Suburb: Snake Valley
State: Vic
Scorpio65 wrote:
Are you using a "stun" server? Sometimes if you are behind a NAT you need to set a stun server. Any one will do...

Stunned me. :)

No. No stun server and I did have the NAT firewall on with everything forwarded correctly, or so I thought. I turned it off and auntie is on the phone talking to Mossie right now. :)

It still seemed very strange that I could ring my landline and mobiles in the house. :?

But we are off and running. Thanks Scorps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:22 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

aaChris wrote:
But we are off and running. Thanks Scorps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:58 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

bassface wrote:

The phone needs to be physically connected to the VOIP socket on your modem (these are different to the ethernet ones)... If you need to though, you can get a cheap rj12 double adaptor and connect 2 phones to your VOIP modem...

I've networked my house with cat5e and use this to distribute the VOIP to different rooms... so the voip network is separate to the computer network...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 5:12 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

johnv wrote:
The phone needs to be physically connected to the VOIP socket on your modem (these are different to the ethernet ones)... If you need to though, you can get a cheap rj12 double adaptor and connect 2 phones to your VOIP modem...

I've networked my house with cat5e and use this to distribute the VOIP to different rooms... so the voip network is separate to the computer network...

Or, as an alternative, you could get a cordless with a handset for every room.

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 5:45 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Damn got a new modem last week which was a Netgear DG834 so no VOIP unless I buy something. Meh
Whats the 'voice box' supplied by aaNet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:04 pm 
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

Nezero wrote:
Whats the 'voice box' supplied by aaNet?

It's a Sipura SPA-2000.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5