aaNet Support Forum

Members Forum
It is currently Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:40 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:22 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Scorpio65 wrote:
Maybe that's because aaNet have already implemented QoS for VOIP data? (I don't know, but it would make sense).

I don't know if that is the reason, or not, but I am very happy with it. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:36 am 
--------------
--------------

State: NSW
Hi Cat,

I'll be moving in the next few months, so I have 2 questions if I signed up:
1) If aanet is available where I move to, will I be able to take the offer with me (as I'll have a new adsl account)

2) If aaNet is not available (eg ACT), will there be any penalty to terminate the voip service?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:42 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

wombat wrote:
johnv wrote:
*I haven't tried Engin. I've been using a different VSP.

Hi Wombat... Are you on a 1500 plan? That might make a difference... I'm on a 512 plan... VOIP works fine if I'm only doing some light surfing, but as soon as i try and download anything, incoming quality gets a bit choppy...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:44 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Scorpio65 wrote:
wombat wrote:
johnv wrote:

Maybe that's because aaNet have already implemented QoS for VOIP data? (I don't know, but it would make sense).

That would be only for Engin VOIP traffic though, wouldn't it ???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:19 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

johnv wrote:
Hi Wombat... Are you on a 1500 plan? That might make a difference... I'm on a 512 plan... VOIP works fine if I'm only doing some light surfing, but as soon as i try and download anything, incoming quality gets a bit choppy...

No, I'm on a 512 plan. Depending on the codec you use, you could get away with a 256 connection. I like to use g711u codec because it has better quality than the others, and I don't care that it uses more bandwidth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:19 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Excalibur wrote:
LJ wrote:
Excalibur wrote:
So if we sign up initially, all we need to pay for is the voice box and the call costs?

Also, does the 6 months start as per normal circumstances (where the first day is when you first authenticate into the system)?

On top of that, my Alcatel STPro does not have a DMZ. Will I have problems with running VoIP? (Or is there a set of ports that I can forward to the voicebox to have it working properly)?

The Speedtouch Pro with single port would require a switch to share the internet connection. The 4 port version would not require a switch as long as there is a spare ethernet port available.

Check latest firmware installed & port forwarding may still be required - you dont have DMZ but can you port forward?
If so ensure that the following ports are not blocked or are forwarded to the voiecebox.

PORT: 5060 UDP
PORT RANGE: 16384-20384 UDP

LJ

The single port would have been so much easier :S.

I have the 4 port one. Yes, I can port forward (thus my question) - but do REALLY have to forward those 4,000 ports? That's going to be genuinely a pain in the posterior.

nat> create
Protocol: udp
Inside_IP: 10.0.0.54
[Inside_Port]: 16384
Outside_IP: 0.0.0.0
[Outside_Port]: 16384

rinse and repeat..

Or is there an easier way that I don't know about?

Darn, you cant implement the range in a single rule? It may not be necessary anyway....UDP port 5060 is most important but again it may not be necessary most new firmware accounts for the arrival of VOIP.

LJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:37 am 
Out Of Hours Poster

Geoff wrote:
Hi Cat,

I'll be moving in the next few months, so I have 2 questions if I signed up:
1) If aanet is available where I move to, will I be able to take the offer with me (as I'll have a new adsl account)

2) If aaNet is not available (eg ACT), will there be any penalty to terminate the voip service?

Hi Geoff I am not sure if you can take it with you but you can signup and try it untill you shift

No there will be no penalty to cancel the VoIP service

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:38 am 
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

johnv wrote:

That would be only for Engin VOIP traffic though, wouldn't it ???

I don't think it would care whether it's Engin or not (and how would it know?).

Done by ports/protocols isn't it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:42 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Scorpio65 wrote:

Done by ports/protocols isn't it?

I agree that it wouldn't care whether it is Engin or not, but the QoS is probably done on packet headers not ports.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:56 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

wombat wrote:
johnv wrote:

No, I'm on a 512 plan. Depending on the codec you use, you could get away with a 256 connection. I like to use g711u codec because it has better quality than the others, and I don't care that it uses more bandwidth.

With myNetFone, i need to use G729... I tried G711 and the quality was really bad... G729 works really well for voice, but doesn't recognise DTMF tones...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:58 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

wombat wrote:
Scorpio65 wrote:

I agree that it wouldn't care whether it is Engin or not, but the QoS is probably done on packet headers not ports.

Can one of the aaNet reps confirm this ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:03 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

johnv wrote:
With myNetFone, i need to use G729... I tried G711 and the quality was really bad... G729 works really well for voice, but doesn't recognise DTMF tones...

They don't support the g711 codec, that's why you have problems with it. I had a quick look, and they're very expensive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:23 pm 
--------------
--------------

State: NSW
I would suggest changing the wording of the front page for those who don't know what they're doing:
Quote:
It can be as simple as plugging your existing phone into your ADSL modem and using it as you would any other phone. Phone calls between aaNet ADSL Broadband voice customers free nationwide.

I know what this is supposed to mean, but those without a VoIP enabled modem possibly won't get it. I can just see some noob thinking they can shove a phone plug into an ethernet socket, and then complaining either that they've broken the phone and/or the modem, or that they didn't know they had to buy additional hardware. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:13 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

wombat wrote:
They don't support the g711 codec, that's why you have problems with it. I had a quick look, and they're very expensive.

10c local calls and very competitive international rates...
http://www.mynetfone.com.au/downloads/RateCard.pdf

national calls are 10c untimed if you pay $9.95 per month or 10c per minute if you don't want to pay a monthly fee...

I don't make national calls, so I find them very cheap...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:22 pm 
--------------
--------------

Exchange/Suburb: Snake Valley
State: Vic
johnv wrote:
wombat wrote:

national calls are 10c untimed if you pay $9.95 per month or 10c per minute if you don't want to pay a monthly fee...

It doesn't even rate a mention with our current offer. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:25 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Quote:
very competitive international rates...

I had a quick look at the rates for calling Malaysia, a country we call on a daily basis. MyNetFone is 4.5c for land lines and a whopping 12c for mobiles. Compare Pennytel (no monthly fee) 2.9c and 6.3c, Oztell ($1.95/month) 3.2c and 6.2c. Just about every VoIP provider I have looked at are cheaper than MyNetFone.

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:41 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

johnv wrote:

I currently pay 10c a call to any landline in Australia, and I don't pay any monthly fees. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:54 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

ozimarco wrote:
Quote:

I had a quick look at the rates for calling Malaysia, a country we call on a daily basis. MyNetFone is 4.5c for land lines and a whopping 12c for mobiles. Compare Pennytel (no monthly fee) 2.9c and 6.3c, Oztell ($1.95/month) 3.2c and 6.2c. Just about every VoIP provider I have looked at are cheaper than MyNetFone.

Mark

I'm sure there are cheaper providers than myNetFone... But I'm a light user... If I switch to Pennytel, I might save $1 a month or so... If my call patterns change, I'll shop around a bit more...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:06 pm 
--------------
--------------

Exchange/Suburb: Snake Valley
State: Vic
johnv wrote:
ozimarco wrote:
Quote:

Mark

I'm sure there are cheaper providers than myNetFone... But I'm a light user... If I switch to Pennytel, I might save $1 a month or so... If my call patterns change, I'll shop around a bit more...

But we aren't discussing those here. This is a thread for aaNet and it's VoIP offers. WP has plenty of info on differing VoIP and that's where other offerings should be discussed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:50 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Geoff wrote:
I would suggest changing the wording of the front page for those who don't know what they're doing:
Quote:
It can be as simple as plugging your existing phone into your ADSL modem and using it as you would any other phone. Phone calls between aaNet ADSL Broadband voice customers free nationwide.

I know what this is supposed to mean, but those without a VoIP enabled modem possibly won't get it. I can just see some noob thinking they can shove a phone plug into an Ethernet socket, and then complaining either that they've broken the phone and/or the modem, or that they didn't know they had to buy additional hardware. :shock:

Exactly, most existing ADSL modems do not have an analogue phone TA built into them, that statement is so misleading and likely to disappoint potential customers, it borders on stupid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:00 pm 
Out Of Hours Poster

dcstar wrote:

Exactly, most existing ADSL modems do not have an analogue phone TA built into them, that statement is so misleading and likely to disappoint potential customers, it borders on stupid.

Ok so the wording can be altered .. com'on dc why so harsh...sheese. The fact is it can be that simple.. it is not stupid it is a fact.

It may be misleading and that needs addressing and will be, but even so, it is not hurting anyone they are not paying for it. The product is free.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:13 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Cat Carroll wrote:
Ok so the wording can be altered .. com'on dc why so harsh...sheese. The fact is it can be that simple.. it is not stupid it is a fact.

It may be misleading and that needs addressing and will be, but even so, it is not hurting anyone they are not paying for it. The product is free.

It is not worth arguing. Take the feedback your receive, and if you can make the wording clearer, then you should do that.

OTOH instead of criticising that it is not clear/misleading/etc, perhaps you can submit your version of it. You obviously understand it enough, otherwise you wouldn't be criticising it. Cat has been fairly open to suggestions, and you have a chance to make a positive difference, so do that. :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:44 pm 
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

dcstar wrote:

David

Has everything you've ever written been perfectly clear, concise, unambiguous and of publishable quality?

I would guess not. But has it ever been pointed out to you as "stupid" (or bordering on)? I'm also guessing not.

Fair enough, it's a little misleading for some, but it is, nonetheless, true. With the right modem/router it can be as simple as plugging an ordinary phone into it. It's like "calls from 2c/min. They are not all 2c/min but they can be..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:33 pm 
Neophyte
Neophyte

I have been using VOIP for about two months now with Engin. If I sign up through aaNet is the offer still available to me as I believed aaNet's provider of VOIP is Engin?

The quality has been great so far. I have a Billion 7402VL router and use the G729 codex which has as good as Telstra call quality.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:53 pm 

I think it would also be advisable for aaNet to make it clear that they are NOT the Voip provider, they are a reseller of Engin's service. This is not clear for many people - as the thread titles here and on WP show, people beleive it is aaNet that is the Voip provider.

There are a couple of issues with this, one is that any issues with Engins service and support will reflect on aaNet because the users will beleive aaNet is the provider - and I dont think aaNet need more bad PR!!

Secondly users may be annoyed down the track to discover that the selection of a VSP is entirely independent of an ISP, the deal with Engin really only provides access to expensive hardware solutions and the waiving of Engins access fee for 6 months, something most VSP's dont charge anyway.

IMHO, ISP's would be better advised to more transparent on the whole Voip issue, in the long run this will reflect better on them, it may well be better to keep a seperation of the two services - after all there is no financial benefit to the ISP other than attracting or retaining customers - with a lot of downside if things go badly with the VSP.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next