aaNet Support Forum

Members Forum
It is currently Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:26 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:04 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Quote:
after all there is no financial benefit to the ISP other than attracting or retaining customers - with a lot of downside if things go badly with the VSP.

Also, with VoIP being a new experience for a lot of users, the ISP has to make sure they have good support channels in place. From what I have been reading on these forums, with aaNet's VoIP you are pretty much on your own. I don't know if we are allowed to ring engin direct if there are any issues with the service.

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:55 pm 

Mark, i am sure you can ring Engin direct because they are the ones you are really signing up as your VSP, that is really one of my points - the ISP ends up fielding a lot of support and/or complaint calls because they have chosen not to make clear that they are just resellers and not providers.

I may be wrong about how this works but until told otherwise all aaNet are doing is providing a "shopfront" for Engin's products and services. Perhaps an analogy is a shop selling mobile phones, they might sell you a phone and sign you up to Telstra mobile. You dont ring the shop if there is a problem with your mobile service, you ring Telstra. But then phone retailers dont promote themselves as being Mobile Service Providers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:08 pm 
--------------
--------------

State: NSW
ok, suggested wording :

Quote:
It can be as simple as plugging your existing phone into a compatible ADSL modem or ATA device, and using it as you would any other phone. Phone calls between aaNet ADSL Broadband voice customers free nationwide.

People will at least enquire about what is "compatible" before doing anything silly.

[edited: i'll leave it at that. it's been changed anyway. Mods/Admins, feel free to remove relevenat posts so thread stays on track]

Last edited by Geoff on Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:12 pm 
--------------
--------------

Exchange/Suburb: Snake Valley
State: Vic
Geoff wrote:
i really am going to keep my thoughts to myself in future.

No. Don't do that. Input is very important. Criticism is good positive argument.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:12 pm 
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

Geoff wrote:

sheesh... ffs. second strike in a row. i really am going to keep my thoughts to myself in future.

Don't do that. everyone is entitled to their opinion. Maybe some are better at getting it across without it sounding too confrontational/aggresive?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:32 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Geoff wrote:
sheesh... ffs. second strike in a row. i really am going to keep my thoughts to myself in future.

Don't be like that. Just put your bullet proof vest on while sitting at the computer Image

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:19 am 

but theres also an upload/downlaod cost in megabytes which goes against my monthly limit ,is that right?...if it is, what is the meg cost for a one minute local and one min national call...call me dumb.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:26 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

bassface wrote:
but theres also an upload/downlaod cost in megabytes which goes against my monthly limit ,is that right?...if it is, what is the meg cost for a one minute local and one min national call...call me dumb.

I believe it depends on which codec you are using, as different codecs use different amounts of bandwidth. I remember reading somewhere that the G729 codec, which is what a lot of people use, uses about 3.5MB per hour. So, unless you make a lot of calls, it should not make a big dint in your quota.

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:45 am 
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

And if you're in Victoria (atleast for now) your uploads don't count :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:50 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

TheClient wrote:

That's just not fair! Image

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:00 am 
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

ozimarco wrote:
TheClient wrote:

Mark

hehe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:13 am 
--------------
--------------

TheClient wrote:
ozimarco wrote:
TheClient wrote:

Mark

hehe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:17 am 
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

aaChris wrote:

That's a "Monkey island" monkey, that is!

On-topic (for a change)...

Chris, did you get your username and password for your Engin account yet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:28 am 
--------------
--------------

Scorpio65 wrote:
Chris, did you get your username and password for your Engin account yet?

Yes I did, but I have some settings wrong, I can call my landline and mobile but no other landlines. :? Gunna get onto it again today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:31 am 
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

aaChris wrote:
Yes I did, but I have some settings wrong, I can call my landline and mobile but no other landlines. :? Gunna get onto it again today.

It's probably the dial plan (if you have one).

This threadat WP is quite useful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:59 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Cat Carroll wrote:
dcstar wrote:

Exactly, most existing ADSL modems do not have an analogue phone TA built into them, that statement is so misleading and likely to disappoint potential customers, it borders on stupid.

Ok so the wording can be altered .. com'on dc why so harsh...sheese. The fact is it can be that simple.. it is not stupid it is a fact.

It may be misleading and that needs addressing and will be, but even so, it is not hurting anyone they are not paying for it. The product is free.

Why so harsh?, because in this case - where you are trying to market a product to people (generally) not that knowledgeable about the minutia of ADSL technologies - it is essentially misleading.

We are talking about a basic consumer product/service here - telephony - that is being sold on the financial advantage compared to the existing POTS connection.

Most "ordinary" people are just coming to grips with broadband, so anything that will disappoint people by highlighting their lack of intimate knowledge of all the little technical issues that are involved will not assist then in gaining enough confidence in even trying a "free" service.

Just ask yourself how you feel when you find any "hidden costs" in a product/service that you want, and how you feel about any organisation that you judge has not made these clear to you?

It is because I consider aaNet to have already shown enough technical credentials in many areas to be at a certain standard, that I consider a marketing statement like that to essentially be "stupid" - and not worthy of them.

As for the comments about the manner of such criticisms, I'm joining the growing band of people who believe that our little world has become so "touchy-feely" and afraid of basic truths that we are suffering because so many things now seem to have to undergo a basic "Spin" before being expressed - I prefer to call 'em as I see 'em.

Sometimes this gets me labelled as an aaNet "fanboi", obviously not on this occasion............ :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:45 am 

ive just read thru the VOIP blurbs on the AANET site and am a little confused..what hardware do i need to take advantage of voip,do i need a particular modem or do i just get the box thingy thats talked about at the website, just a broad outline will help..thanks...remember,call me dumb.... ps., call me dumber, but where on the site do you actually sign up for this??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:00 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

bassface wrote:
ive just read thru the VOIP blurbs on the AANET site and am a little confused..what hardware do i need to take advantage of voip,do i need a particular modem or do i just get the box thingy thats talked about at the website, just a broad outline will help..thanks...remember,call me dumb.... ps., call me dumber, but where on the site do you actually sign up for this??

I would recommend you get a Billion 7402VGP. All you'll need to do is plug your phone into it, enter your username and password in it, and you'll be able to make VOIP calls using your normal phone. Optionally you can set up dialling plans to save you dialling the area code, or to force certain numbers to use the Telstra line, etc. If anyone calls you on the Telstra line the phone will ring, but when you call, you're using VOIP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:44 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

bassface wrote:

You will need a modem router with more than one port, unless you want to buy a switch.
You will also need to have a voicebox - aaNet sell these for $139.

LJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:27 pm 

thanks for the info....question...can i just plug a headphone and microphone in and make calls with that rather than have to buy more equipment, i heard i could do that ,is it true?..yours humbly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:13 pm 
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

bassface wrote:
thanks for the info....question...can i just plug a headphone and microphone in and make calls with that rather than have to buy more equipment, i heard i could do that ,is it true?..yours humbly.

It's possible - but that's more common if you are plugging in through a PC...
If you are plugging in a headset/microphone into a normal phone then plugging THAT into the VoIP hardware -- mayhap that is the way to go?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:31 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

bassface wrote:

Into your computer?

This is called a softphone - yes you can do this, its just not as functional.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:19 pm 

can i do the softphone thing with aanet, coz thats the only way this is a free trial .ie ,i buy any piece of hardware wether its the aanet phone box or voip modem ,and thats a financial investment on my part therfore its not free to me at all,do you see what i mean.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:49 pm 
--------------
--------------

bassface wrote:
can i do the softphone thing with aanet, coz thats the only way this is a free trial .ie ,i buy any piece of hardware wether its the aanet phone box or voip modem ,and thats a financial investment on my part therfore its not free to me at all,do you see what i mean.

As above...

LJ wrote:
bassface wrote:

Into your computer?

This is called a softphone - yes you can do this, its just not as functional.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:31 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

bassface wrote:

By all means, try it out using a softphone. I think that's how most people start out with VoIP. I have found that, since I invested $100 in my ATA, my VoIP experience has become much more satisfactory. If it feels like a phone, smells like a phone and sounds like a phone, then, by golly, it IS a phone. You are more likely to use it instead of your PSTN if it works like PSTN. Of course, it is up to you to decide whether you make enough calls to recoup that investment in a reasonable time frame.

Mark

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next