aaNet Support Forum

Members Forum
It is currently Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:58 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:58 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

nickbrown wrote:
wasyoungonce wrote:
cat you give me ADSL2 in Lilydale (Victoria, Melbourne), "i will love you long time"!!!!!!!

Hahaha keep it in your pants ay mate, We have Chris for that

LOLOLOLOLOL

Is it sad I really laughed at that?! :D

No, only that you admitted to it. :lol:

Joshua 24:15
01001101 01010100

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:29 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Petronius wrote:
paranoid wrote:
Ok, ADSL runs at a max of 8Mb/s. ADSL2 runs at 12Mb/s while ADSL2+ is up to 24Mb/s. That is why ADSL2/2+ is better. However, the only drawback is you need a modem that is compatible with ADSL2.

Am I correct in saying that although normal ADSL is technically capable of running at 6 to 8 Mbit/s, it is throttled back to a maximum of 1500kbit/s?
Whether this is for commercial reasons, or for some technical reason to do with Telstra's network....well, I don't know.

If it is a commercial decision, then maybe when ADSL2 comes along, the ceiling might be lifted on ADSL to something like 4-6 Mbit/s. (read, I wish. :) )

Keep in mind that your existing ADSL1 modem should work perfectly on an ADSL2 DSLAM, and in fact if you have a long cable run that meant that even with ADSL2+, you wouldn't get more than 8mbs, then it may be a waste of money to upgrade to an ADSL2+ modem - you may well get close to the maximum rate with your existing modem.

Have a look at this: http://www.internode.on.net/adsl2/graph/index.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:32 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Is there a way to figure out how far you are from the exchange?

Apart from using the trip-meter on the car, that is :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:49 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

nommic wrote:
Is there a way to figure out how far you are from the exchange?

Apart from using the trip-meter on the car, that is :P

There is a calculation someone told me to do with Line Attenuation and Noise Margin I'll try and find it.

edit: can't find it I think it was Line Attenuation/13.8 someone may be able to confirm this though.

iiSlammed syncing at 20040 kbps/1021 kbps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:03 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Lord Viykor wrote:
There is a calculation someone told me to do with Line Attenuation and Noise Margin I'll try and find it.

edit: can't find it I think it was Line Attenuation/13.8 someone may be able to confirm this though.

I think that is a reasonable approximation - but it does vary as different cable gauges may be mixed in a line.

BTW, for anyone who thinks that they might get ADSL2+ on Telstra's new equipment, have a read of this:

http://www.apcmag.com/apc/v3.nsf/0/B4A3 ... A80006C555

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:50 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

dcstar wrote:
BTW, for anyone who thinks that they might get ADSL2+ on Telstra's new equipment, have a read of this:

http://www.apcmag.com/apc/v3.nsf/0/B4A3 ... A80006C555

That sucks, if it happens. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:34 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Quote:
Keep in mind that your existing ADSL1 modem should work perfectly on an ADSL2 DSLAM, and in fact if you have a long cable run that meant that even with ADSL2+, you wouldn't get more than 8mbs, then it may be a waste of money to upgrade to an ADSL2+ modem - you may well get close to the maximum rate with your existing modem.

I was under the impression that my NetComm NB 1300 plus 4 isnt ADSL compatible and it has no firmware to update it.

01001101 01010100

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:46 pm 
--------------
--------------

Exchange/Suburb: Snake Valley
State: Vic
mt wrote:
I was under the impression that my NetComm NB 1300 plus 4 isnt ADSL compatible and it has no firmware to update it.

Nah. They never were. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:53 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

mt wrote:
Quote:

I was under the impression that my NetComm NB 1300 plus 4 isnt ADSL(2) compatible and it has no firmware to update it.

dcstar never said you'd get ADSL2 out of your ADSL1 modem, he was just indicating that the ADSL1 modem would still work if the dslam was upgraded to ADSL2. Further to that he pointed out that if you were some distance from the dslam you will only get ADSL1 performance even if you have an ADSL2 modem, which means for some of us that upgrading our modem and connection speed to ADSL2 will show no increase in performance.

Cheers,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:59 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Thanks overboard I see the error of my ways now, oh and Chris too. I like to criticise my modem but it is ADSL compatible it just operates like it is allergic to it sometimes.

01001101 01010100

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:42 pm 

can't wait for adsl2 finaly something that should push down 1.5m plan prices

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:24 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

stealthy wrote:
can't wait for adsl2 finaly something that should push down 1.5m plan prices

Maybe, but it may only do that in selected locations.

Already some non-Telstra ISPs won't roll out their own DSLAMs into exchanges out of highly populated areas because Telstra charge too much for the "backhaul" of data back to the ISP's network.

I would speculate that the prices will fall for those where alternative DSLAMs are installed in their exchanges, for the others they will probably have to stick with Telstra infrastructure, and possibly be stuck with Telstra as the only ADSL2+ supplier they have access to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:33 am 
Neophyte
Neophyte

There is nothing wrong with telstra, all you telstra whingers don't have the complete picture of what's going on.
Just my 2 cents, ps i'd love to see ADSL2+ that would be awesome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:04 am 
*jumps out window*

Exchange/Suburb: LARA
aanet08022005 wrote:
There is nothing wrong with telstra, all you telstra whingers don't have the complete picture of what's going on.
Just my 2 cents, ps i'd love to see ADSL2+ that would be awesome.

What's the complete picture?

Don't tell me you honestly believe Telstra's "victim" role, how they are over-regulated... Poor billion dollar company :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:19 pm 
Neophyte
Neophyte

Why should telstra be required to be underpaid by its wholesale customers to maintain the existing infrastructure?
Furthermore why should telstra have to resell the new fttp network they want to put in, and have none of the reselling customers pay for the maintenance of said infrastructure, optus is willing to pitch in but is that for the infrastructure rollout or does that include regular maintenance? To many companies expecting a free ride.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:38 pm 
Volunteer Forum Admin
Volunteer Forum Admin

Exchange/Suburb: Acacia Ridge
State: Qld
aanet08022005 wrote:
Why should telstra be required to be underpaid by its wholesale customers to maintain the existing infrastructure?
Furthermore why should telstra have to resell the new fttp network they want to put in, and have none of the reselling customers pay for the maintenance of said infrastructure, optus is willing to pitch in but is that for the infrastructure rollout or does that include regular maintenance? To many companies expecting a free ride.

It is more like Telstra deliberately overstating the cost of maintaining existing infrastructure to maintain the already overpriced wholesale rates, to keep retail competitors that it didn't want in the first place from becoming too powerful.

At no time has anyone made a reasonable argument against splitting the 'two Telstra' yet it seems that it won't ever happen. If TW was as expensive to run as it is claimed, surely Sol etc would want to get rid of it as fast as possible. As it is, they realise that the Wholesale arm is where the profit is now and will be in the future so they don't want to split it.

btw - one of the key drivers for deploying a Fibre to the Node network as they have suggest they want to, is that they would then lock other retailers out of the market. There are other technologies available and (some) more cost efficient, however it is a lot harder to lock competitors out of those given the current regulation of its wholesale arm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:24 am 
Neophyte
Neophyte

How will it lock competitors out of the market?

Optus, Primus, AAPT are just a few of the carriers that could roll out there own fibre to the node network.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:03 am 
Volunteer Forum Admin
Volunteer Forum Admin

Exchange/Suburb: Acacia Ridge
State: Qld
aanet08022005 wrote:

Optus, Primus, AAPT are just a few of the carriers that could roll out there own fibre to the node network.

And will Telstra allow other's cables/fibre in 'their' pits and conduits??

Why do you think that Optus cable only exists in areas with above ground power (in Brisbane at least)??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:38 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

aanet08022005 wrote:

The issue with FTTN is the eventual access to the so-called "last mile" copper pair, so unless you are also prepared to run your own connection to each premises (very, very costly) it just isn't financially viable.

I think everybody should keep in mind that Telstra (or any other carrier, for that matter) are only currently permitted to place "low impact" infrastructure (such as FTTN cabinets) on public land if it satisfies competition policy.

It seems just about everyone is assuming Telstra can just place these 20,000 proposed things anywhere they like and get away with it, I believe that - if they lock out this infrastructure to competitors - they have no right whatsovever to do this, and if they end up having to pay market rates to rent private property to put their infrastructure on, it could change the whole economic balance of the proposal.

If competitors also propose their own FTTN infrastructure, how do you think the general public is going to feel about a multitude of ugly boxes clustered all around their suburbs - on public land - just so some companies in a particular industry can run their business and make a profit?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 5:35 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

what is the difference with adsl and adsl2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 5:46 pm 
--------------
--------------

Exchange/Suburb: Snake Valley
Speeeeeeeeeeeeed. Nothing else but speeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed and further reach from the exchange for users:)

Have a read of this and this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:22 am 
Neophyte
Neophyte

wasyoungonce wrote:
cat you give me ADSL2 in Lilydale (Victoria, Melbourne), "i will love you long time"!!!!!!!

Can I add a +1 to that waiting list? I'm afraid our chances of adsl2 are pretty slim tho!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:17 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

With the sale of aanet, will the ADSL 2 project continue under the new management?

01001101 01010100

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:28 pm 
--------------
--------------

State: NSW
mt wrote:
With the sale of aanet, will the ADSL 2 project continue under the new management?

I think cat said in the original annoucement about the sale - yes, but it'll be handled by a third party (?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:37 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Geoff wrote:
mt wrote:

I think cat said in the original annoucement about the sale - yes, but it'll be handled by a third party (?)

Ok.

01001101 01010100

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next